Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Modem connection

From: Tim Donahue <TDonahue () haynesconstruction com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:50:40 -0400

Inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: none [mailto:ice4ice () excite com]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 12:43 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Modem connection

hi, i'm a simple man, i can't affort anything faster than 56k
:>  I'm running XP, with Forton Firewall; the problem i
occured that packets can be sent to me with +++ATHO, which
will nicelly disconnect me. Uner linux i found that that
command can be disabled via querying the modem. Some of the
ICMP senders will do it to 135 port; disabling the whole
protocol won't do it. We tried it.
 I don't think that the firewall is actually catching the
packets, before they reach modem :> ,so i'm trapped, trying

In order for the firewall to scan the packets, the computer has to accept
the packet to have it scanned by the firewall software.  Sounds like it
might be a driver bug, but that is just a guess.

different software won't help, eg BlackIce didn't help. My
mate tried from freeBSD, by going on higher port (cant
remember) and disconnecting me, but ip ban solved that. Q. is
there an answer to that? i can't setup a hardware firewall,
and i need windows to run more often than linux (for the time being.)
  Can someone send a link for more info on ICMP?

Google. The first 3 results from a query of "ICMP" look like they are a good
place to start.  Especially the RFC defining ICMP.

Thanks, and sorry for my poor english.

Eliminate pop-ups before they appear!
Visit www.PopSwatter.com now - It's FREE.

Tim Donahue