Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: XP Box appears to be compromised

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:30:32 +0100

If that doesn't work, then download winlibpcap and ethereal, install, but on
hub with computer or switch span port
start ethereal
say 'start filtering' and use the filter string 'src host MY_IP or dst host
MY_IP' without apostrophe and replacing MY_IP with the IP address of the
machine
should have everything done in 30 minutes

the advantage of this approach is that you can save the network traffic. if
this thing escalates into an administrative action (firing, discipline,
etc.) you want to have that stuff recorded, and you want a second person who
can testify that person x was using ip y during the illegal movements.

badenIT GmbH
System Support

Chris Meidinger
Tullastrasse 70
79108 Freiburg

Es gibt 10 arten von Menschen auf dem Planeten,
welche die Binär verstehen, und welche die es nicht tun.