Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Freeware Antivirus

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:10:07 -0700

From: Peter Busser <peter () trusteddebian org>
> My questiun to the list is what other FREE quality antivirus tools are there
> out there, I'm particularly looking for the end hosts but may as well
> include other solutions.  I always used to recommend  CA's InnoculateIT,
> that is until they started charging for it.

There is clamav, which is a GPLed virus scanner. It is available for Linux,
maybe it is also available for MS-Windows (it is claimed to be POSIX compliant,
so it should be portable).

I haven't used it as of yet, so I can't really comment on its speed and
quality.

We're using Clam-AV here. We've only been using it for a few weeks with a light load, but so far it's been working just fine, easily dealt with the sobig problem.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Get MSN 8 and help protect your children with advanced parental controls. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors. Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com