Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: sobig.F

From: Watkins Capt Timothy J <WatkinsTJ () 4MCD USMC MIL>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:13:06 -0400

If you have Norton Exchange, you can make registry entries that will strip
emails with attachments named *.pif and *.scr

We also strip others such as *.exe, *.bat etc...

There are many FAQs on how to set Norton up to do this.

What type of email server do you have?  What type of virus protection do you
have on it?

The normal user shouldn't be getting files that contain these extensions!

Last week when SoBig was really sending out, we stripped over 20,000 emails!

Tim Watkins