Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File and Printer Sharing still turned on after unchecked...confused :\

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:54:54 -0700

  Since NetBEUI is an alternative to IP, TCP port numbers cannot
possibly be associated with it....

  These port numbers are used to carry NetBIOS traffic over TCP
and UDP.  NetBEUI is an alternative broadcast-based (and THEREFORE
local-only) transport for NetBIOS traffic.
  "File and Printer Sharing" are implemented using NetBIOS.  They
are not the only things that use NetBIOS, which is why turning them
off is not sufficient to turn off NBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP).

  If you don't need ANY of the services of NetBIOS, you can turn
off NBT completely -- the exact mechanism varies from one Windows
version to the next.

  If you need some of the NetBIOS services, you almost certainly
don't want them to transit your perimeter.
  If you have a small Ethernet-only LAN (only one subnet), you
might try to restrict them to local use by installing NetBEUI
*and making sure all machines are bound to only do NetBIOS that
way*.  I don't recommend that, because it's hard to be certain
that every box is doing only what you want, and the fact that
some stuff is working over NetBEUI can make troubleshooting
TCP/IP issues harder.
  For larger IP-only LANS, your only viable alternative is to
block these TCP/UDP ports at the perimeter with a firewall or
router access list.  Outbound as well as inbound!

David Gillett