Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hardware vs Software Firewall/Router

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 13:49:31 -0800

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Microsoft's Proxy Server, for instance, required not just NT 4.0 but
also *IIS* to be installed first so it could re-use components from
that; I'm not sure that their ISA product doesn't have similar
requirements.)

It doesn't, I have an ISA box here and IIS is not required. However, be warned ISA is only a good solution if you have an all MS network, it doesn't play well with Linux boxes. (which has been causing problems for us, and making us consider migrating to something else)

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics