Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: analyzing client / server traffic

From: James Washer <washer () trlp com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:34:56 -0800

one trick I've used, which gives me a 'hint' of whether or not applications are really ecrypting, or just some form of
compression/encoding is to attempt to send a HUGE block of a single character..  say 10000 'a's or something like
that..  doesn't always work... but sometimes I'll see a huge block of some repeating pattern in the data stream...
which means no encryption.. Sort of a 'known plaintext attack'. From there, you can try different plaintext blocks..
and can sometimes figure out the encoding.

Not very scientific mind you... but occaisonally useful

 - jim

On 3 Apr 2003 15:31:40 -0000