Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PGP versus PKWare

From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson () HIPUSA com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:34:45 -0400

You should do a matrix of features and requirements and test your products.
AES Is 256bit and is enough. Min. 128 bit.

You're not giving enough info for people to give you an answer - "sending
confidential info over the net" is not enough for an evaluation.  We ALL do
that.  Did you look at ftp, vpn, e-mail encryption and secure web
servers/file servers, even dial up can be secure.  Do you want to manage
keys and support your users (and theirs potentially), what if they lose
their keys?  Are you sending only to employees or are you sending to
business partners?  Can you require them to buy the same package (hw or sw)
you are or do you need send to anyone?

See the list archives for a conversation a few weeks ago about encryption,
vpn, e-mail, etc...

Sonja Robinson, CISA
Network Security Analyst
HIP Health Plans