Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Anti brute force tool

From: "Hunt, Jim" <Jim.Hunt () nwsc k12 in us>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:26:01 -0500

I would think something as simple as a number of invalid logon attempts
being monitored and defined would be sufficient to trigger after a
certain number in a predetermined amount of time.

At my last job, I used a commercial product to notify me of every bad
logon attempt for the admin accounts and for any 3 bad attempts in 10
minutes.  I caught a student red handed trying to brute force an admin
account in a classroom. :)

http://www.tntsoftware.com/

Jim Hunt
Northwestern School Corporation