Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Win2000 Directory Permissions

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:41:35 -0800

From: "Sander de Rijk" <sander () derijk org>
I would say change EVERYTHING to admin+system full control and users
instead of everyone read permissions. Besides that change the repair
indeed to no access for the users.

No need for power users. No need for creator owner.
The documents and settings folder will take care of itself with those
permissions and if users need write access because of certain apps
Like for example c:\temp do that on the folder

That should be sufficient

For IIS however I would suggest u use the lockdown tool (be carefull
with the urlscan) to secure your server. It also takes care of the
entire NTFS settings of the IIS user

Greetz,
Sander

Originally when I was setting up our permissions structure I removed the everyone group completely and gave the administrators group full control to all. Then I added domain users to a few places I felt were necessary. Under this configuration the thing didn't run well at all. Are you saying that by adding system with full control to all folders this problem would be solved?

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics