Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Iptables Clues and Advices.

From: "Salvatore Poliandro" <jello () vanished net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:10:48 -0400

Howdy,
In my past I have used a combo of DROP and REJECT.  I Use DROP on the ports
that NSS looks for valid servers (tcp ports 21, 80 ; icmp ping; ect) and
REJECT on the High ports. My firewall is constantly being tweaked and I have
not had a problem with an attack yet.  Its successfully combated against a
slew of DDoS attacks, and remains hidden from a lot of NSS's.

Sal

Hi,

For all the folks who illusion that DROP is more secure than REJECT, I
submit the following:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~peterb/network/drop-vs-reject

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you right now, but I don't think
I'd use this as proof that REJECT is a better option than DROP.  I
think the statements made on that web page need to be backed up
with some examples and proof.  Anyone can theorize what some
scanners can and can't do and how they would react to certain
firewall filtering rules.

Steve

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free
technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.