Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: session-hijacking is still available?

From: "crawford charles" <biv0uac17 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:42:32 +0000

Forgive my presumption, but I believe the original concept of TCP
session-hijacking was that an attacker could INFER the starting
sequence numbers for a victim TCP session, most likely by attempting
his own Telnet sessions, and observing the session numbers.
When a new (targeted) victim logged in, the attacker would note
the victim's IP and port, and then start hammering the victim session
with data-packets starting from the inferred sequence number range,
and all without being able to observe the victim session -- all he needed
to do was craft packets which set the password and logout -- in effect,
a priviledge escalation attack.  In fact, the attacker need not even
observe the replies to his packets.  This all presumed a time when
TCP sessions were few and far between.

Granted, if you can sit on the line, or manipulate the packet routing,
the whole issue of predictable sequence numbers (and therefore the
subject of this thread) becomes moot.

---------