Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NetBIOS Messenger spam - how did it get in?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:26:19 -0800

From: Damon McMahon <inst_karma () hotmail com>
The gateway host of my small workgroup has just become
a 'victim' of the recent spate of SPAM using the
NetBIOS Messenger Service.
The gateway is a Windows 2000 host which connects to
the internet via an external IP dynamically assigned by
my ISP, and to an internal network via a 192.168.0.0/24
IP assigned by the Windows Internet Connection Sharing
service.
2. If this is possible, is there any inexpensive
[preferably free!] method of configuring Windows 2000
(with or without ZA Pro) to filter packets on the basis
of interface as well as IP address?

No problem, all you have to do is right click network places, select properties, right click on your external interface, select properties, select tcp/ip, click on properties, click the advanced button, select the options tab, select tcp/ip filtering, click the properties button, click on enable tcp/ip filtering on all adapters then select the protocols and ports you want available. Just remember that an adapter and an interface are two different things and you shouldn't get confused.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Ok, so the servers are down, the lights are out, and all I have to work with is a roll of duct tape, a ball point pen, a lighter, and a twenty year old copy of emacs. Where's the problem? "

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp