Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Are automated scanners doing this ?

From: phani () myrealbox com
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:35:07 +0530

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:16:52AM -0000, Jon wrote:
hi jon

I occasionally use a linux box with a random IP address allocated by an ISP and with the majority
of services not available.  Over the last few months the rate of attempt to access this system has
gone from none (start of the year) to one attempt to access every two to three minutes of
on-line time.

Is this normal ? The attempts come from a wide range of international IP addresses but with about
40% from accounts within the ISP itself.
The scans of a dynamic IP could be random. This could be a port scanner at work.The reason for the increase in the
scans could be anything from the host being up for a longer period of time, to the way the IP was assigned to you. I
donot know how DHCP assigns the IPs , so may be someone else with that knowledge can help you out. I dont think there
is a need for concern here .
HTH
phani