Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WIRELESS THEFT

From: "Didier Brems" <didier.brems () creditlyonnais lu>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:26:30 +0100

I thing Clint give the best answer here.
For my personal point of view I agree with him, I don't thing your neighbors
knows that their connection is so widely open, so tell them.

As a example, I got the same problem here in Luxembourg.
I few mounts ago I install a wireless connection home. The server is in the
basement and my girl computer is on the second floor, she got my signal but
a little weak.
After a while, I notice that my girl as install a brand new game, more than
one gig of data, but couldn't find the install on my server. She can not
install it on her computer, not enough disk space.
Checking on my network I see that she was not on line on my network.
Checking on her computer I find that she was connected to another net and
she has install the game on another computer not part of our network.
She has catch the signal on another wireless net and she has made her
computer part of it.
She simply told me that she had problem with our network and because I was
not there change some settings and got a connection.

My neighbor has install is own wireless network just in the adjacent room of
my girls bedroom. And the signal she caught was better than mine.

I simply told it to the neighbor and we reconfigure both connections.

Have I to tell that he never notice it, even if one gig of its hard disk was
eaten.

I could also choose to reconfigure our network so my girl's computer use our
connection, say nothing to the neighbor, so when I want I could connect to
his network.
But I thing that's not very 'ethical'.
I haven't thing about ethics at the moment, just that I can be not the only
one to catch it's connection and other people can be more evil that I am.

I thing that computer gig must be more like bickers than common drivers,
that stop to help another bicker when he got a problem with his bike.

Cheers
Didier