Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: gnugpg question

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:17:10 -0600

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:07:35PM -0700, Evil Monkey wrote:
I've been playing around with PGP and have found something kooky.  I'm
curious if y'all have seen the same thing and might be able to offer some
explaination:
[snip]
passphrase doesn't exist and won't let me do a thing.  On the newest version
of pgp tools, if I check out the key's properties and attempt to change the
passphrase it says the passphrase I've entered is incorrect.

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

My guess is the cypher that is used to encrypt the secret key isn't
supported by PGP under windows.  The old version didn't know how to
tell what cypher was used, so it tryed the one it knew about, and
faild.  The new version is smarter and can tell that the cypher isn't
something it knows about.  You might be able to tweak GPG to use the
correct cypher for Windows; don't know how that might be accomplished
though.

Keep in mind this is a *guess*.  I have never tried interchange of
private keys between Unix and Windows.  Public keys work fine though.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         I should be biking right now.   Computer Science