Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking personal email

From: nee cee <nc () phat co nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:59:46 -0800 (PST)

With regards to the outlook mail you could perhaps look at a commercial content scanning products (there is probably
open source around) like MailMarshall, Mail Essentials or MimeSweeper. I use the first one with a comand line virus
scanner and have not had an email virus since i installed it. You may need to change email policies if blocking
someones existing access.

"Tim V - DZ " <iceburn () dangerzone com>
28/11/2002 02:52 AM

Subject: Blocking personal email

In a company using the exchange / outlook combination is there any way
to block users from using outlook to receive non-exchange mail?  We are
concerned about people adding their personal email to the Outlook
accounts and subsequently being exposed to more viruses.  The mail that
goes through exchange is guaranteed to be scanned before it's viewed.  I
know that POP3 and SMTP can be blocked by ports, but what about services
like HOTMAIL where outlook can use HTTP to retrieve mail?  Is the only
solution to block that site (making it so users can't see any hotmail
pages in the browser either)?

Thanks,

-tim

Sign up for FREE email @ www.phat.co.nz and get your own @phat.co.nz address!
muzic n' more @ http://www.muzic.net.nz

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you () yourchoice com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more!
http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag