Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: *nix firewall setup

From: nee cee <nc () phat co nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:42:37 -0800 (PST)

NAT by itself is not a firewall and only offers limited protection. For a quick solution you might be able to use one
of the security distributions of linux like clark connect, ipcop, smoothwall. see www.distrowatch.com for a few. I
think some of them install snort when you install the disto.

********************
I have a client who has MS proxy server 2.0 and a NAT firewall.  I have
already been able to exploit it.  I am recommending they get a regular
firewall put in place and dump all the rest.  They however dont want to
spend too much $$ on the project so I was thinking why ont a linux firewall?

Having never set one up before and only having a little knowledge of linux
where can I go to get a basic tutorial that just covers firewalls and linux.
I know there are a million pages of text out there on linux and firewalls
but i am under a slight time constraint and need a step by step with
explanations or something similar for now.

Any1 know of any sites or texts to get that would do this?

TIA

kenderkin

Sign up for FREE email @ www.phat.co.nz and get your own @phat.co.nz address!
muzic n' more @ http://www.muzic.net.nz

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you () yourchoice com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more!
http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag