Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: Wireless security and VPN

From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson () HIPUSA com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:17:07 -0500

Personally, I have not tested PEAP so I can not say. I am currently
researching the issue.  There are some other potential products available
(all in the same box), such a blue socket. Each has their advantages and
disadvantages.  I would still wait to see the new products coming out in
1Q03, Wi-FIProtected Access (WPA), but if you can't wait, IPSEC is good for
VPN.   Some of the current products need to be evaluated against your
current and future systems to ensure interoperability.  Standardisation is
also a factor.  WPA will use higher encryption, dynamic keys and will be
interoperable and standardised.  Of course, no heavy testing has been done
on WPA yet either.

Here is a brief excerpt of some pros and cons of one product.

Pros:

*         You can have hot gateways and they are intelligent.  All of them
can talk to each other and pass the info correctly among them so they get a
plus for maintenance.

*         Price discounts are available

*         Gateways can be simulaneously monitored from browser base console

*         Compatibility - very good

*         Future - good

*         ROI - very good

*         Service - good (not great, see con)

*         Overall 4*

*         Works with Radius, LDAP and NTLA so entering users can be easier,
can be seemless authentication

*         Supports 802.11a, 802.11b and bluetooth (potential expandability
and future growth)

*         IF Ipsec is institued correctly (key there) almost impossible to
crack

*         Can do own Ipsec VPN or can do Proxy VPN

*

Cons:

*         Penalty for performace when bandwidth exceeds 30mbps

*         Tech Support is M-F 9-5, no 24x7 nor weekends

*         All WAP's must have direct line into gateway or through a
hub/switch that must be connected exclusively to the bridge.  Could require
extra cabling.

*         Windows won't allow to IPSec's runnging at once so you can have
conenctivity issues

o        Have 2 sep h/w setups on boot "I am away from the office" and "I am
in the office" bootups

o        OR Write a VB script so that when users want to use the secondary
IPSec it is seemless and disables the first but re-enables the first after
shutting down secondary program