Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: New scanner?

From: "newsletters" <listserv () citadelconsulting net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:51:49 -0500

Regarding the Snort rules conflict,

I looked for CodeRed v2 rules on the snort mailing list and found some
varying documentation in the list archive. The official documentation
does list the following and would appear that this doesn't show proof of
a compromise. If this is the case I officially "eat crow" and apologize
for the mistake. However, I would never endorse rebuilding a server
based on the singular post on a mailing list.

I am also somewhat confused about the rule. The syntax shows
"established". I assume that this means that connectivity was
established, but not what the server response included (i.e. 400, 500,
or 200).

If Jeremy is available it would be nice to hear what his findings were.

I appreciate the debate from HC. Without the debate I wouldn't have
considered another point of view.

CB

Link to snort rule# 1256 documentation:
http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?sid=1256

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"WEB-IIS
CodeRed v2 root.exe access"; flow:to_server,established;
uricontent:"/root.exe"; nocase; classtype:web-application-attack;
reference:url,www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html; sid:1256; rev:7;)