Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: query on firewall throughput.....

From: "Brian Bettger" <brianb () diversint com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:37:41 -0800

Hello SaiKrishna,

I am glad that I can now assist with a question. The throughput ratings
are a guide how much data flows from the local area network to the
outside, say, the Internet, AND / OR the reverse.

For example, if I have a 100 mbps network card in my workstation and I
desire to download a service pack of considerable size the slow point
might be the firewall if it only has 10 mbps throughput. My download
would be throttled to 10 mbps. Compound this with additional users on my
network downloading files, video conferencing or real audio, sharing
MP3's, etc the throughput will probably be slower yet as there is more
traffic through the 10 mbps choke point (firewall).

So, if you find a firewall product that rates at 1Gbps with the ability
to maintain 280,000 connections and not drop below 380 mbps, that is
good! I've found most SOHO products on the market from Linksys, Netgear
and the like to allow 10 mbps. It's when you get into the higher end
products, more costly, that you see throughput rise to 100 mbps and up
to 1 Gbps. Pricing seems to follow throughput.

Hope this helps,

Brian