Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Bill Hamel <billh () bugs hamel net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:42:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I was responding to the "Such is not the case.  I've done otherwise."
Comment below.

-b

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Eric Schroeder wrote:

You just have to configure ARP properly.

For example----

Internet Router                                              Firewall
               End User
10.1.1.254                                          10.1.1.58 192.168.1.1
               192.168.1.51

You could use NAT on the firewall to hide everyone behind the IP address
10.1.1.1. Then you would have to configure the firewall to respond to arp
requests for 10.1.1.1, or you would have to configure the internet router
with a static arp entry for 10.1.1.1.  But no one ever needs to know the
actual IP address of the firewall.

FWIW,

Eric Schroeder
Satel Corporation