Security Basics mailing list archives

NAT and Web Server Security

From: <spato99 () hotmail com>
Date: 18 Nov 2002 22:27:26 -0000

We're about to put a public web server on DMZ sitting behind a Teir 1
firewall and only allow http, ssl to it.  We intend to assign a public IP
address to this server and no NAT'ing is done on the firewall for this
address (NATing done for internal network on Teir 2 firewall).

It has been suggested that without NATing, it is possible for a hacker to
compromise this server and pretend to be our company...

1) While NAT address some security issues, doesn't this specific risk
exist regardless of whether NAT is employed or not?

2) If NAT does help in this case, I'd appreciate comments as to how

3) Is there any good reading material on NAT security - specifically,
what it can and can't protect against. The stuff I've read doesn't seem
to talk about NAT in this context.

Thanks