Security Basics mailing list archives

Microsoft SMS SNMP functionality

From: "Vachon, Scott" <Scott.Vachon () Paymentech com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:15:20 -0600

Our Network Operations group recently noted an increased failure on snmp
queries against our internal routers and switches. After tracking down the
offending IP address, we discovered that our Desktop group had deployed
Microsoft SMS company- wide and it was attempting network discovery by
sending snmp requests to the network equipment. Understanding that there are
some benefits to SMS, we requested they either exclude certain IP ranges
used for network equipment and/or turn off the SNMP functionality of SMS.
They don't want to exclude IP ranges . They also claimed they can not turn
off the SNMP functionality of Microsoft SMS. I "Googled" the hell out of SMS
and also dug through MS Technet, etc..I can not find a definitive answer or
set of steps regarding disabling the snmp component of Microsoft SMS. Can
anyone on the list direct me to a detailed resource or post the steps for
disabling the snmp ? TIA.

Scott Vachon
Paymentech, LP.

Learn more about Paymentech's payment processing services at www.paymentech.com
THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print,
distribute, or copy this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.