Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: Secure Intranet?

From: Seth Knox <seth.knox () sygate com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:25:54 -0800

I concur with David's point that the systems that connect to your network
need to have a minimum level of security that is in line with your policies.
It is critical to verify the security of the end user's system before they
connect to your network through VPN. Otherwise, any compromise of the
end-user's system will quickly spread to your network. Executive are
notorious for doing dangerous things like connecting wireless LANs in
airports, installing insecure applications (IM and P2P), cancelling
anti-virus updates, and sharing their hard drive. When you are dealing with
information such as medical or financial records, if you don't protect the
information the company may be liable for damages related to the improper
disclosure of the information under HIPAA. The only way provide secure
remote access is to use strong authentication (two-factor preferable),
strong encryption, and enforce that the appropriate security measures are
present on the system (host firewall, anti-virus, patches, host IDS).
Anything less and your client is taking a serious risk.

Sygate has a product that does security policy enforcement for VPN called
Sygate Secure Enterprise. It gives you that ability to verify that the
system at the end of the VPN tunnel is running updated anti-virus, host
firewall, host IDS, patches or any combination of security policies you want
in place. Many of the analyst like Garnter and Meta Group consider it a
necessity to have policy enforcement before deploying VPN or other types of
remote access. Also, many of the major VPN vendors are integrating with
Sygate to offer a secure remote access solutions (See PR links below). Hope
this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sygate Secure Enterprise Data Sheet
http://www.sygate.com/solutions/datasheets/Sygate_Secure_Enterprise_Datashee
t.pdf

Sygate VPN Partner Press Releases