Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Risk of using SS#s (last 4 digits) for authentication

From: "Margles Singleton" <MarglesSingleton () firsthealth com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:40:01 -0600

I believe there are regs disallowing the use of the SSN in California.

mas

"Jim Lawton" <jblii () hotmail com> 11/02/02 09:59AM >>>
We are currently considerring the limited use of employee's Social
Security
numbers to authenticate them when they request a password reset from
the
Help Desk.  We have chosen two items (in total) for authenticating
them:
their employee # and the last 4 digits of their SS#.  Only the last 4
digits
would be stored in the Help Desk app, and these would be viewable only
by
Help Desk technicians.  They would only be able to see them by
selecting a
specific toolbar button (the SS# screen would not visible at all
times).

We are concerned with the privacy issue potential if we use any part of
SS# but are unaware of any legal precedent, standard or guideline
either
supporting or against this use.  Does anyone have knowledge they can
share,
or know of web resources that might be useful to research this issue?

We are a corporation of roughly 1200 specializig in healthcare, and
HIPAA
privacy/security regs, NCQA and URAC acredidations must be taken into
consideration.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information.

JBL