Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ridiculous situation

From: <David () cawdgw net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:03:19 +0100

I suggest you back all five up completely. A disk image is the best. then
see if management will let you get one machine like the others and
either
1. rebuild them, one at a time, replacing each machine one at a time as you
get a build completed/tested (image that thing as well)
or 2. drop each machine image on a new drive in the spare machine as a
duplicate and hack the piss outta it until you know what their holes,
trojans, etc are.

Personally, I'd save the companies machines/ass<et>s by doing the rebuilds
first and THEN use the spare machine to hack piss outta the images.

You could always justify the new machine to a spare in the case of a
catastrophic equipment failure on one of the old machines.

:-)

D. Weiss