Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Fiber optic vampire taps

From: <David () cawdgw net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:09:04 +0100

If I remember correctly, it was about five years ago that the mandate came
out of the NSA that Protected Distribution Systems (PDS's) with fiber were
required to be metal vice plastic, because a monitoring technique had come
out that could "read" the pulses on the strands from something like a meter
away.

This might be absolute male bovine excretement, but when I questioned the
reasoning based on the requirement for intrusion detection of the PDS, as
emissions on fiber did not occur, I was told signalling could be detected
through plastic at close range, whereas through metal the emissions would be
too weak to read. I'd think the only emission from fiber whould have to be
heat in the infrared range.

I'm unable to find any mention of this anywhere. Just a document from the
NSA making the requirement.