Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Fiber optic vampire taps

From: "James Lee Gromoll" <jgromoll () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:01:41 -0800

Hi All,

I am not so sure you need to break the sheath. It is very easy to demonstrate light emitting from a fiber optic zip cord with a laser source. A simple hard bend and a high end detector might do the trick; However, if you really are concerned the best way to figure out if you are tapped in some manner is to shoot your fiber plant with an OTDR. A hard bend in the line or even an really good splice shows up as what is called a reflective event on the OTDR. Unless your cable is broken you should see a fairly linear dropoff on the OTDR until the termination of the line at the other building. If you have a bend you will see a small spike followed by a noticible drop in the signal strength. If someone has on the other hand put in a laser pump I am not certain, but I suspect you will see a sharp rise in signal strength. You can measure the distance on the trace and if it is less than the distance between your building entrance points well, "Houston we have a problem."

On another note. Your installers should have been able to tell you this also. For the real experts on Fiber get in contact with the Light Brigade. These guys are the avowed experts in fiber installation, and what you are talking about relates strongly to installation. As for whether or not it can be tapped, there is a way to sample the light, so someone with the will could do it.