Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Login Banner

From: Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar () plexus com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:56:53 -0600

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:11:02PM -0500, sharon_joyner () timeinc com wrote:
Hello List,

We have a small network consisting of an NT 4.0 Server with Win95, Win98
and W2k workstations connected to it. There are three versions of a
login banner popping up on these workstations and we need to standardize
to the one "official" version. We've changed the banner on the server,
but this has only changed some workstations. Most still have their old
login banner displaying. Can anyone tell me how can we push out the
changed login banner to all workstations?

I'm not sure if you're looking for a banner on all workstations regardless
of how they login, or one _after_ the user logs in.  If the latter ...

What I've done is to insert a few lines in the login .cmd file, copies kept
on all PDC/BDC machines.  If lines of text in a command prompt window aren't
snazzy enough, easy to launch a TCL/TK applet that displays the
warning/MOTD.

~brian