Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A Solution for sniffing

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:52:58 -0800

From: Konrad Rzeszutek <darnok () 68k org>
Some sniffer programs do DNS lookup on the captured IPs. If you do some
arbitery connection to an IP and see DNS lookups for the same IP you
connect to from some other hosts moments later you can deduce sniffing.

That makes sense, although I think if I was sniffing someone I'd just keep a log and do the lookups later.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf