Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PGP and GNUpg

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:03:39 -0800

From: Kailash Kayastha <kkayast () abcv com>
I have very little knowledge on encryption technologies. We have been
using PGP for windows for past few years. We are thinking of moving
towards GNUpg on Solaris 8.  Does anyone know if GnuPG is any less or
more reliable and secure than PGP? OR is there any other free
reliable/secure encryption solutions available?

We use GPG here (with the winPT front end on windows boxes) and it seems to work very well. In my opinion I would think an open source version would be more secure not less, due to peer review, and the encryption processes it uses are based on the same technology.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf