Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security clearance.

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:01:59 -0500

2002-12-18T15:40:56 Zimin, Alex:
Looks like personal security clearance is the "must have" for the
security professionals.

Interesting. As far as I know, I've never met anyone with a
security clearance, and I've been working computer security for
financial services firms for about ten years.

Sometimes I've gotten a _background_check_, but that's not a
security clearance, and in any case isn't something you get for
yourself; it's something that an organization runs on you in hopes
of reducing the odds that you're a known criminal.

To the best of my knowlege, a security clearance is only in order
when you are working for the government, or when you're working for
a company that does contracts for the government, and you're working
on one of those contracts. In those conditions, the government or
the company you are working for will be driving the security
clearance process, there's nothing you can do in advance to try and
speed things up. Security clearances aren't a credential you can buy
for yourself, rather they're basically the government version of the
background checks that some financial services companies run.

-Bennett