Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is this a scanner?

From: Matti Haack <matti () mattis de>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:33:26 +0100

I think someone (or some crawler) cut&Pasted a link to adobe ftp server in his FTP
Programm (e.g. "ftp://anonymous () ftp adobe com"->in FTP).
Because he got a "host not found" message, he tried a little
more and ended on your IP with the original URL as login...

Asked for a password, he entered any mail adress (which is
very common and if it is a correct adress, very polite..)

I think the 3 seconds where used to type "abc () 126 com" by an avarage
user - after been ask for a password. Looks very manually

If it was a scanner it looks like a very stupid program - unless you
have many of these attempts in your logs.

PM>      Back to the question: Does the log show a new scanner at work,
PM> or is it merely a browser with these values set for anonymous logins?
So I'm shire it's the later...

with best regards,
     Matt Haack