Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need Help

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:43:02 -0800

From: tombombadillon () Argentina com
I am in the security area and ?administer? 1200 users in mainframe with
VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, CICS, AS/400,  LAN of 500 PC?s and a Wan of 600, (mix
of Window$ platforms). Now we are connecting the enterprise to
internet and we go to add f4 firewalls, 2 proxy,  2 IDS, 9 Linux, etc
(with the risk this involve)  and I am alone with other guy (but it?s
technical knowledge is lower, hi manage the papers).

What are some good arguments I can use to request for additional
personal?
Management don?t understand importance of security. What can I do? This
is a nightmare.

All I can say is wow, you are seriously overloaded, you're definitely going to need either a guy to run the help desk so that you can concentrate on the security end, or a security guy so you can take care of the other stuff. Since help desk guys are cheaper, your best bet is to ask for one of those. As an argument, poing out that if you two try to do it by yourselves, they're going to have to pay copious overtime hours at time and a half, and it would be much cheaper to get you some help at lower wage rate.

As a side note, I can't imagine trying to handle more than a few hundred users on my own (as the everything guy, not just tech support) but I work at a small company, what is everyone else's workload like?

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."