Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WLAN Sniffer

From: "Talisker" <offthecuff () lineone net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:00:26 -0000

Hi
With regard to a wireless sniffer, I'd have to concur with HC (Keydet),
you'd have to go a long way to beat ethereal, not only does it run on *nix
and w32 but it has more protocol savvy than many of it's commercial
counterparts.  By that I mean there are literally thousands of individuals
across the Internet submitting decoders for the huge variety of different
protocols they encounter.

One example of this is a commercial tool spotted 2 RIP packets with the same
source and destination.  Ethereal identified that the first was RIPv1 and
the 2nd was RIPv2.  This provided one extra piece of evidence that what I
was seeing was in fact a scan.  This example wasn't wireless.

take care
-andy
Taliskers Network Security Tools
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk