Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: broadband connections in hotels

From: Brad O'Brien <brad.obrien () brylade com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:36:22 -0500 (EST)

Greetings Peter,

         From what you describe, one thing that you may want to try is allow
access to 192.168.x.x by IP only in the firewall rules as most of the webpages
from hotels are internal sites.  This has itÂ’s obvious disadvantages, so you
have to decide how much security you want to sacrifice in order to maintain
flexability for the user.

         If they are external sites, then you could have the person dial-up
with the built in 56K modem and  VPN into work, thereby using the corporate
proxy and then authenticate the password on the site in question.  That should
activate the billing for a set period of time (usually one night) and allow
the user to then disconenct the dial-up and connect to the broadband
connection.

         If all else fails, most of the hotels offering broadband to their
guests would have a PC that the front desk that has an unrestricted internet
access to that could initiate the billing on the travelers behalf.

Hope this helps,
Brad O'Brien
Operations Manager
Brylade Computer Solutions Ltd.