Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: First 4 bytes in SNMP application data

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 19:01:19 +0100

Hi,

What you’re looking at is the SNMP encoding according to the Basic Encoding Rules[2] (BER). These octets define the BER
structure.

For example a 64 octet SNMPv3 message starts as such:

SNMPv3Message ::= SEQUENCE {

30 3E

    msgVersion INTEGER ( 0 .. 2147483647 ),

02 01 03

Where 30 defines a sequence, 3E the length, 02 an integer, 01 length of one and 03 the version number.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3412#section-6 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3412#section-6>
[2] https://www.oss.com/asn1/resources/asn1-made-simple/asn1-quick-reference/basic-encoding-rules.html
<https://www.oss.com/asn1/resources/asn1-made-simple/asn1-quick-reference/basic-encoding-rules.html>

Regards,