Wireshark mailing list archives

Struggling to rebase

From: Paul Offord <paul.offord58 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 10:21:40 +0000

Hi,

I'm working on updates to sharkd.  I have pushed the changes to my
downstream repo on gitlab.  The tests run fine but the Merge request shows:

Fast-forward merge is not possible. To merge this request, first rebase
locally.

I made sure my local master was up to date with a git pull.  I then did:

git rebase master issue17235

issue17235 being my feature branch.  This gave me merge conflicts.  All of
those conflicts related to changes to earlier versions of the same branch
that I had pushed to downstream.

I'm now stuck in a bit of a loop:

   - I resolve the merge conflicts
   - I get a clean commit
   - I do:  git push downstream HEAD
   - That fails with:
   - To gitlab.com:credible58/wireshark.git
      -  ! [rejected]              HEAD -> issue17235 (non-fast-forward)
      - error: failed to push some refs to 'gitlab.com:
      credible58/wireshark.git'
      - hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch
      is behind
      - hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.
      - hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
      - hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for
      details.
   - I do the git pull as suggested
   - I have the same merge conflicts as I started with

I'm thinking of deleting my branch, abandoning the Merge Request and
starting over.

Is that a bad idea?
Is there a simpler solution?

Thanks and regards...Paul