Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Protocol to tie Bugzilla entry to Gerrit change

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:43:02 -0700

On Aug 13, 2020, at 5:27 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

On 13 Aug 2020, at 09:37, Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2020, at 12:24 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

For now(*) this is done as per
https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches#Writing_a_Good_Commit_Message

He's talking about comments in Gerrit, such as "this change broke XXX"; he's not talking about commit messages in
Git.

I’m sorry, but then this question is too convoluted for me, as non-native English speaker.

Unless it's also too convoluted for me, a native (American) English speaker, I think the question, as stated (in a
non-question form) in the subject line, can be rephrased as

        If a given change introduced a bug, and I file a bug in Bugzilla on that, is there a way that I should use to
indicate, in the bug, which change introduced the bug and, possibly, indicate, in the Gerrit entry for the change, the
bug that it caused?

and, in addition, it includes a second, ralated question:

        If I file a bug but *don't* indicate, in the Gerrit entry for the change, the bug that it caused, will that
mean that the person who made the change might not be aware of the bug that it introduced, and does that mean that I
should indicate, in the Gerrit entry for the change, the bug that it caused?