Wireshark mailing list archives

Finding the SYN packets with the HTTP(S) requests.

From: Hugo van der Kooij via Wireshark-users <wireshark-users () wireshark org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 12:03:47 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to see the SYN packets that belong to the HTTP and HTTPS request I am looking into.

If I filter with "http.request || ssl.handshake.type == 1" I get a good view of the various webpages that are
requested. But I see the TCP stream numbers are not in the expected order:
[cid:image001.png@01D573A4.C0880C70]

So I would like to see the SYN packets for each of these as well as they might explain my view.

It works for some of the connections with:
tcp.flags == 0x0002 || http.request || ssl.handshake.type == 1

But the examples above it failed to find the SYN packets.

I had to use:
tcp.flags == 0x0002 || tcp.flags == 0x00c2 || http.request || ssl.handshake.type == 1

To catch them all.

Hugo van der Kooij
network engineer
+31 15 888 0 345
hugo.van.der.kooij () qsight nl
Delft | Delftechpark 35-37

 The information transmitted is intended only for use by the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged
​ material. ​Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action in reliance
upon this
​ information ​by persons and/or entities ​other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in
error,
​ please inform the sender and/or addressee immediately and delete the material. Thank you.