Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark 3.0.1 build warning on Windows

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:34:30 -0700

On Apr 10, 2019, at 12:56 PM, Maynard, Chris <Christopher.Maynard () IGT com> wrote:

I noticed this warning when compiling Wireshark 3.0.0 too but forgot to report it earlier.  Is anyone else seeing
this warning?  I don’t see this warning on any of the builds with the x86 buildbot:
https://buildbot.wireshark.org/wireshark-master/builders/Windows%20Server%202016%20x86

Check out

https://buildbot.wireshark.org/wireshark-3.0/builders/Windows%20Server%202016%20x86/builds/177/steps/compile_1/logs/warnings%20%281%29

and all the builds back to 2019-04-01 - they all have the warning.

Is it intentional that we're not building with the "fail on warnings" flag on the 3.0 Windows buildbot?

Note that I only get this warning when compiling for 32-bit on a 64-bit Windows host:

On 64-bit UN*Xes (LP64) and Windows (LLP64), size_t is 64-bit, so all non-negative gint64 values fit in a size_t.  The
only 32-bit build we're doing is the 32-bit Windows build.

This is fixed by

        https://code.wireshark.org/review/31901

which I'll look at backporting.