Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: MATE in Users Guide

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 10:30:05 -0700

On May 20, 2018, at 6:07 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

Even though MATE has been part of the codebase ‘for a while now’, it is only documented in the Wiki.
Pavel has contributed nice graphics to the story, as well as content. But things are still ‘stuck’ on the Wiki for
now. My intent is to add the contents, verbatim, to the User Guide. That is to say I’m not knowledgeable about MATE,
but find the content good enough to add it as a chapter to the Users Guide.
Anyone feel that it is out of place there and should not be part of the Users Guide?

If it documents how some part of Wireshark works, it belongs in the User's Guide.  This documents how some part of
Wireshark works, therefore....

(If people think some parts of the documentation of how Wireshark works should be a Wiki, to allow user contribution,
either

        1) we should encourage them to submit changes through Gerrit rather than through the Wiki

or

        2) we should make the User's Guide a Wiki.

Scattering information on how Wireshark works over multiple places makes it harder for people to find out how Wireshark
works, as it means that people first have to figure out how the Wireshark *documentation* works before they can use it
to figure out how *Wireshark* works.)