Wireshark mailing list archives

Lua Dissector Dev Tool

From: Markus Leballeux <markus.leballeux () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:12:50 -0500

Hello Wireshark Devs,

I am currently working on a lightweight Lua library called Wirebait (here
on GitHub <https://github.com/MarkoPaul0/WireBait>), which enables users to
execute and step through their dissectors without needing Wireshark. All
you need is data to dissect, which can either be a hexadecimal string
representation of a UDP/TCP payload or a .pcap file.

I believe it is now "good enough" for other people to test and *I am
looking for kind souls to try the library and give me some feedback*. In
order to do so, you'll need the following:

   - Lua 5.3
   - a Lua dissector you want to test
   - a .pcap file *or* a hex string representing a UDP/TCP payload you want
   to dissect

If you do fulfill the requirements, *getting set up should take less than a
minute *(more detailed instructions on the repo):

   1. download wirebait.lua,
   2. add a 5-line-snippet at the top of your dissector
   3. edit the snippet to read your .pcap or hex string
   4. you're ready to go: run your dissector and check out the dissection
   output

Even if you don't fulfill the requirements, you can still go to the Wirebait
repo <https://github.com/MarkoPaul0/WireBait> and try out the examples.

*I would appreciate any form of feedback and/or suggestions.*

Have a good one!

Markus