Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Dealing with aggregated packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 22:39:14 -0700

On Jul 2, 2018, at 10:34 PM, Mike Morrin <morrinmike () gmail com> wrote:

I also played with this concept a few years ago when working with a proprietary aggregation protocol.  I am not sure
if I still have my prototype code.  I seem to remember that features such as filtering were easily broken and
difficult to fix.

One idea I had was to NOT give the aggregated packets real packet numbers (in the traditional sense), but give them
sub-packet numbers which are displayed as x.y where x is the aggregation packet where the aggregated packet finishes
and y is the aggregated sub-packet number.  Note that his scheme should be extensible for sub-packets within
sub-packets (x.y.z etc).

Is there any need to give them packet numbers at all?  The top-level tree items can have frame numbers, but the tree
items underneath that need not have one.