Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Question about building WSDG

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 16:37:27 +0800

On 4/10/18 3:35 PM, Graham Bloice wrote:

On 10 April 2018 at 01:30, Craig Jackson <cejackson51 () gmail com
<mailto:cejackson51 () gmail com>> wrote:

    I'm trying to submit some edits to the WSDG. I'm testing them against
    the HTML version.

    If I change on of the source asciidocs and execute:

    C:\development\wsbuild64>/msbuild docbook\developer_guide_html.vcxproj/

    Only developer-guide.xml gets rebuilt.

    If I make another change to the same file and run:

    C:\development\wsbuild64>/msbuild docbook\all_guides.vcxproj/

    Then the following files get rebuilt:

    developer-guide.xml
    developer-guide.chm
    developer-guide.pdf
    user-guide.chm

    It also takes quite a while longer.

    I have to use /t:rebuild to get it to actually rebuild the chunked html
    files, which are the ones I'm accustomed to looking at.

    I'm still learning Cmake, msbuild, and vcxproj files, but this seems
    like a bug. Would entering a bug be appropriate?

    Craig Jackson

I think some recent build system changes have moved part of the docbook
generation to when an installer is built.  Try building with msbuild /m
/p:Configuration=RelWithDebInfo nsis_package_prep.vcxproj.

It looks like we're missing a dependency on Windows. The developer_guide_html target *should* work, but if I run

touch ..\docbook\wsdg_src\WSDG_chapter_env_intro.asciidoc
msbuild docbook\developer_guide_html.vcxproj

I get the same result as Craig. Doing the Ninja equivalent on macOS works as expected.