Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: MPEG2-TS, DVB-SI, and DVB-GSE Dissectors

From: Martin Kaiser <lists () kaiser cx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:22:44 +0100

Hi Alexander,

good to see you again. We worked together in the DVC-CI+ group back in
2014. I hope that I told you about Wireshark's CI+ dissector then ;-)

Thus wrote Alexander Adolf (alexander.adolf () condition-alpha com):

For both topics, I would expect one likely guidance I'll be receiving
to be "submit a patch". This is of course the most productive and
easiest to manage way from the point of view of the regular
contributors who are familiar with the code

... and the best way to _become_ familiar with the code.

There's no such thing as a "high-level introduction to the DVB-related
functionality" document.
There is, however, doc/README.dissector, which is worth a read.

(1) A little bit of streamlining of how DVB PSI/SI is presented when
analysing MPEG2-TS. I could e.g. imagine it to help readability if the
PID were shown in the source and/or destination address field. Also,
when interpreting DVB PSI/SI tables, some interpretations of
identifiers doesn't seem to be quite accurate.

That sounds like a good starting point: Find a field that we don't
interpret correctly. Try to find out where it's defined and modify it.
Try to come up with a small and simple modification for the first patch.
If you get stuck along the way, let me know which field you're looking
at and prepare a ts file that you can share with us.

Good luck,
Martin