Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Kasumi algorithm implementation

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 22:12:00 +0100

Hi,

Le 27 févr. 2017 21:43, "ss ws" <sswsdev () gmail com> a écrit :

At the moment, there's a place holder file for the Kasumi algorithm found
at:
wireshark/epan/crypt/Kasumi.h
And I found this dev thread form 2012 where the issue of Mitsubishi's
patent on the algorithm (not the code) and the copyright issue with the
Kasumi implementation found in ETSI's specifications were raised:
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201208/msg00080.html

Looks like the bottom line by Joerg Mayer was - If there is an
implementation other than ETSI's we could add this one to Wireshark but
leave default setting of not using it unless Wireshark is compiled
with HAVE_UMTS_KASUMI
defined (as seen in Kasumi.h).

Can anyone back this?
If this is the case I have just stumbled upon this cpp implemenation on
github:
https://github.com/randombit/botan/blob/5eca80aa3336dc49c721
e9c6404f531f2e290537/src/lib/block/kasumi/kasumi.cpp
which is both different from the implementation in the specifications and
released under the 'Simplified BSD License'.
If it was re-written in c, could we add that implementation to Wireshark?

Nothing has changed since that time (except the fact that the link is
http://www.3gpp.org/specifications/60-confidentiality-algorithms).
As you said this was raised in the past so far not integrated to avoid
being potentially sued (like for AMR codecs, SNOW3G and ZUC ciphers,...).
None of us has paid a lawyer to verify whether we could safely add it or
not.

Best regards,
Pascal.