Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Adding pcap-ng pipe support to dumpcap

From: Stephen Donnelly <Stephen.Donnelly () endace com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 03:04:46 +0000

From: Guy Harris on Thursday, 31 August 2017 1:24 PM
On Aug 30, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Stephen Donnelly <Stephen.Donnelly () endace com> wrote:

At the very least extcap tools should be able to supply data in any format understood by wiretap, but since the
extcap data currently goes via dumpcap (maybe not sensible either?)

Perhaps not, indeed.

Currently, there's a protocol between dumpcap and {Wireshark,TShark} allowing dumpcap to tell *shark "I've appended N
more packets to the capture file", to allow dumpcap to report errors and "here's another capture file" (if it's doing
multiple files), etc..

If extcap programs were to speak that protocol when capturing, you could have the extcap programs behave similarly to
dumpcap, writing packets directly to a file, and have *shark run the extcap program rather than running dumpcap.
I.e., make extcap programs act as substitutes for dumpcap.

Agreed. In fact if extcap programs can talk directly to *shark, then dumpcap becomes just another extcap program and
not especially privileged.

Stephen