Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to "unsort"

From: Lee <ler762 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:01:39 -0400

On 3/15/16, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
On Mar 15, 2016, at 5:15 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Perry Smith <pedzsan () gmail com> wrote:
I’m using Wireshark 2.0.1 on a Mac.  I really enjoy the new UI.

I click on a column to sort the output by that column.  Is there a way to
undo this?

I know I can click on “No.” but that appears to be slightly different.
Any adjustment now makes a second pass ‘sorting by No.’ whereas before it
did not need the second pass.

That's the right way to do it.  When you haven't sorted on any particular
column then the display is sorted by the (Frame) Number column.  By
sorting by that column again you should be returning to the initial state.

What do you mean when you say "any adjustment" leads to a "sorting by"
pass?  What kind of adjustment?

Changing a protocol preference, for example.  (Reproduced on a Very Large
Capture I have.)

I get the same behavior on windows using wireshark 2.0.2

Open a 25MB pcapng file and click on
Analyze / enable protocols
add or remove the checkmark for 3COMXNS
click OK

and the status msg at the bottom of the screen says
Rescanning:

Click on any column heading, then click on the No. heading (frame number?)
Analyze / enable protocols
add or remove the checkmark for 3COMXNS
click OK

and the status msg at the bottom of the screen says
rescanning:
dissecting:
sorting:

Lee